Today was the day of surgery. A bit of a restless night with a 4:45 wake up. We arrived at the hospital at 6:00 am and once the pre-op prep was done Judy was taken into the Angio Surgery room a little before 8:00.
About 9:30 I got a call from Dr. Iancu “can you come down to the Angio Theatre?” When she did the angiogram she found that the aneurism was different looking than what they expected, it was irregular in its shape making it a little more difficult to coil but also the irregularity made it more at risk than the initially thought.
They knew that it was Judy’s preference to have this fixed using the endovascular method but in the end it might be necessary to change gears and do the clipping procedure which would mean a craniotomy. They didn’t want to bring Judy out of the general anasetic And discuss the options with her; so now what do I do?
Dr. Iancu had called the neurosurgeon in to ensure I was fully aware of the facts. The processes, the risks, the plan and the desired outcome. I was introduced to this doctor. Here is where karma comes into play –
When Judy 1st learned of the 2nd aneurism there was many delays in getting in front of someone to answer many questions, explain how it could happen (identified 2 years ago but nobody told us ) and put a plan in place to address the anexiety of living with this identified aneurism that Judy referred to as a potential ticking time bomb.
A friend of ours (Sheri Creese) knew Dr.Sinclair (a neighbour). She made the connection for us. Dr Sinclair was able to get things rolling and got us back in the queue with the other neurosurgeons at The Ottawa Hospital. We were disappointed that Dr. Sinclair was not going to be involved more, but were grateful that this connection got things happening.
Well today, this neurosurgeon who was called in by the neuroradiologist was none other than Dr. Sinclair. I knew then that it was OK to give the green light to have them do the ‘Clipping Method’ via a craniotomy if that was the best option.
So we start the 4 hour wait (expected surgery time) again.
At 12:00 Dr. Iancu came out and explained that she had to abort the procedure. She attempted to do the coiling, but was not satisfied that it would be secure enough to stay where it was supposed to stay. The flow diverter became not an option as the aneurism was too close to the another branch of the artery. She also decided that turning it over to a neurosurgeon was not a good option at this time because Judy had been on blood thinners for the last 5 days and surgery while on blood thinners was potentially increasing the risk.
It was decided to do nothing – today. Take Judy’s case back to a panel in doctors in neurosurgery and present options and possible plans based on this new found information from today’s angiogram. The panel will meet in mid July and we will be updated soon after that. So we wait again. But I do think it was the right decision made in Judy’s best interest today.
Judy spent the next 5 hours in recovery, recovering from a plug in the angio incision in the groin, the affects of a general anesthetic, the weakness of being on a high powered blood thinner and in general just feeling hit by a truck, not to mention the let down of coming out of the anesthetic and learning that nothing was done. We are home now and will take it easy for the next few days / perhaps a week and then – Reset – stay tuned.