Ken Alger served in a Executive Leadership capacity in the Financial Services Industry in Canada in various roles culminating a successful career with an early retirement. This was a market leader role with a mandate to develop business, relationships and people; that was met with award winning success and recognition.
Most recently Ken has afforded his transformational leadership skills to the Health Care field, an area that is wanting and needing massive change. Currently, Ken is Board Chair of Queensway Carleton Hospital (QCH) where the oversight responsibilities turned on a dime due to the pandemic. Thriving on the mantra of “never waste a crisis” Ken has been able to identify many learnings and lessons stemming from these trying times that will become catalysts for moving Health Care forward. During his time in the Chair role, Ken lead QCH through a strategic planning process that identified a solid direction that will move QCH from a leading Acute Care Hospital to a Hospital without walls that will serve the population well and position QCH within an Ontario Health Team (OHT) as a key and strong partner.
During his time on the board of the hospital, he also took on a significant role as President of the College of Kinesiology and guided them through strategic plan that would position them to be nimble, agile and ready for potential changes in the regulated health colleges over the next few years.
- Strategic Planning and Visioning,
- Critical and Creative Thinking – asking questions to direct thinking and change lens,
- Facilitation of Strategy Sessions – identifying direction understood by all Stakeholders
- Moving from Strategy to Functional and Operational modes in a prudent and timely way
- Performance Turnaround, calibration, tracking and monitoring,
- Definition of performance expectations that are specific, measurable and sustainable
- Senior Executive Coach – to ensure alignment to culture,
- Talent Management / Mentoring for individuals to fulfill career goals and realize potential
Industry Expertise in the various sector includes:
- Sector (Health Care) oversight and governance
- Sector (Allied Health) oversight and governance
- Sector (Financial Services) knowledge garnered over 35 yrs and at senior executive levels,
- Understanding the impact of Political, Economic, Societal and Technology has on all sectors
Mr. Alger also served in a volunteer capacity on the board of the Queensway Carleton Hospital Foundation 2008 – 2014 and chaired the Finance and Audit Committee for the Foundation 2012 – 2014. He moved to the Queensway Hospital Board (Operations vs. Fundraising) 2014 – Present. Just recently he became Chair of the Board for a Private Investment Company AMIC (Advanced Mortgage Investment Company) 2015 – Present.
In September of 2016, he was appointed as a public member of the College of Kinesiologists with oversight for patient relations as well as disciplinary hearings and in 2018 was appointed President.
He has his MBA from the Richard Ivey School of Business / University of Western Ontario along with other Financial Services Accreditations. He also has his Government of Canada Security Level Clearance.